Kameiros Archeological Site
The district of Kameiros stretches along the northwest coast of the island, close to Ayios Minas Cape (ancient Mylantion), in the foothills of Akramytis Mt. In prehistoric times,… the Mylantian gods, who taught mankind milling and kneading, were worshipped here. Mycenaean necropolis have been excavated at Kalamvarda, west of Kameiros. Finds from the Geometric period (8th c. BC) testify to the existence of a temple on the Acropolis, dedicated to Athena. The 226 BC earthquake, destroyed the Classical city and most probably the Classical temple of Athena in Kameiras as well. The Hellenistic city was built on three levels, according to the Hippodamian system. On the summit of the hill was the Acropolis with the Temple of Athena and the Stoa. On the middle terrace was the settlement and on lower down, the Hellenistic temple, Doric Fountain-house, Agora and Peribolos of the Altars. The area was embellished with numerous votive offerings, stelae and plinths with statues. The 142 BC earthquake, destroyed the city for a second time.
The Acropolis was first excavated by Biliotti and Salzmann, in the 19th century (1852-1864). In 1928, during the island’s Italian occupation, the Italian Archaeological School began a systematic excavation of the area along with restoration work, which continued until the end of the 2nd World War.
The Kameiros archaeological site-settlement, which was built on three levels, comprises the following monuments:
Acropolis and Precinct of Athena Kameiras: The Doric temple, a tetrastyle peripheral (with porticos on all four sides), was surrounded by a peribolos, replacing a previous Classical temple, which was destroyed by the earthquake of 226 BC, with only its foundation having survived.
The Reservoir: A rectangular construction lined with plaster, terra-cotta pipes and two apertures with stone covers on the bottom, served to carry the water to the settlement. It had a capacity of 600 cubic meters of water, a reserve sufficient for 300-400 families. The side steps facilitated access to cleaning the reservoir, which was covered, dating back to the 6th-5th c. BC. In the Hellenistic period, its place was taken by a stoa, putting it out of use.
The Hellenistic Stoa: This consisted of two rows of Doric columns and shops or lodgings, at the rear for the worshippers. The columns at the front supported an architrave with metopes, triglyphs and a cornice (3rd-2nd c. BC). There was an impressive water supply system under the floor with covered wells, subterranean tanks and terra-cotta water pipes, replacing the earlier reservoir.
Four-sided Hellenistic Altar, in front of the Doric Stoa: Settlement of the Hellenistic and Roman periods, built according to the Hippodamian system (a grid of parallel streets and residential blocks of the same size, called insula), spreading over the hill’s middle terrace. A principal feature of the houses was the interior colonnaded courtyard, with one side usually higher than the others (Rhodian peristyle). They were adorned with mosaic floors and facades with architraves and painted decoration on plaster. Among them, stand the remains of public baths with hot and cold chambers and hypocausts (underfloor room heating installations).
Hellenistic temple on the third and lowest terrace of the archaeological zone: It was a poros distyle temple (having two columns in antis at the front), with a pronaos, cella and opisthodomos. The base of the cult statue is preserved in the cella and behind stood the treasury, a pit cut into the floor, to hold the temple money. It was probably dedicated to Pythian Apollo.
Ionic Naiskos of poros: Stone with plaster facing, used to house votive offerings.
Fountain-house: The facade consists of poros Doric half-columns, faced with plaster and supporting an entablature. Panels closed the intermediate spaces. Inside it was an open tank from which the water was drawn (mid-4thc. BC). At a later period (3rdc. BC), the tank was replaced by a well and the columns were carved with the names of the damiourgoi (eponymous priests of ancient Kameiros). Behind the fountain-house the remains of a stoa can be seen. A revetment wall on three sides retained the soil fill of the upper terrace.
A four-sided square (Agora): Opened in front of the fountain-house, where the citizens forgathered for religious ceremonies. It had three steps on the south and east sides. Walls later enclosed the north and south sides, in which were doors to admit the faithful. Half-columns embellished the north wall, and at the southeast corner there was a four-sided structure, perhaps a votive offering. The inscribed plinths on the stairs at the south side, are later reconstructions from the Italians. Inscribed bases for statues and votive offerings were erected on the west side. The most important of the votive offerings was that of Panaitios, with the inscription “ΘΕΟΙΣ ΠΑΣΙ” (to all the gods). There are two half-finished inscribed votive offerings behind the north entrance to the Agora, one of them probably depicting a bull.
Altars’ Peribolos: On the northeast side of the third terrace, along the retaining wall, inscribed altars were erected on two levels, dedicated to different deities (Agathos Daemon, Artemis, Zeus, Poseidon and others). There are remains of a large oblong altar dedicated to Helios on the first level.
A semicircular dais: In front of the Altars’ Peribolos, carried a votive offering, a monumental staircase between the Agora and the Peribolos of the Altars leading to the residential center.