Archeological Museum of Rhodes
The Archeological Museum of Rhodes
The Archaeological Museum of Rhodes is housed in the medieval building which served as the Hospital of the Knights of St. John. The structure’s construction, begun… in 1440, by Grand Master de Lastic, with money which were bequeathed by his predecessor, Fluvian, and was completed in 1489 by Grand Master d’Aubusson. The museum is a two-storey building, with a central courtyard, all four sides of which are lined with porticoes. Interesting finds, dating from all periods of the island’s history, discovered during archaeological excavations, are exhibited in the Garden and in the twenty rooms of the upper floor. In the garden the visitor can see sculptures and funerary steles, as well as the mosaic floors of the Hellenistic period and under the atrium, one can see the mosaic floor of the early Christian period from Karpathos.
Various statues and fragments of funerary monuments are also on exhibit in the Museum atrium. The Museum houses the following collections:
• Tomb groups from ancient Ialysos of the Geometric and Classical periods: vases, figurines, jewellery, metal objects
• Tomb groups from ancient Kamiros of the Geometric and Classical periods: vases, small objects, figurines
• A collection of Classical, Hellenistic and Roman sculptures
• Funerary slabs from the period of the Knights with relief representations of the deceased or of their coats of arms