Many religious monuments testify to the great historical and cultural value of Rhodes, an island at the crossroads of civilizations with a history of 2400 years. From the ancient temples of Hellenistic times, the early Christian Byzantine monasteries and churches, up to the Ottoman mosque and the Gothic influenced churches, these unique places of worship, show the rich cultural and religious heritage of Rhodes and the historical path of Christianity on the island.

According to tradition, Christianity was popularized in Rhodes by Apostle Paul, who arrived on the island and first preached the new cult in Lindos. In the years that followed, the Christian religion was established and spread, resulting in the founding of numerous churches throughout the island.

Rhodes, since ancient times, encapsulates in its historical path the, presence of various religious groups. Various impressive mosques for the Muslim community and the Synagogue, the most important religious building of the Jewish community survive in the city, along with two Roman catholic churches, namely St. Francis, in the namesake district of the town and Santa Maria’s, in the new town.


The predominant religion is Greek Orthodox; the island is the seat of the Metropolis of Rhodes.
There is a Latin Catholic minority on the island of 2,000, many of whom are descendants of Italians who remained after the end of the Italian occupation, pastorally served by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Rhodes.


The Jewish community of Rhodes goes back to the first century AD. Kahal Shalom Synagogue, established in 1557, during the Ottoman era, is the oldest synagogue in Greece and still stands in the Jewish quarter of the old town of Rhodes. At its peak in the 1920s, the Jewish community was one-third of the town’s total population. In the 1940s, there were about 2000 Jews of various ethnic backgrounds. The Nazis deported and killed most of the community during the Kahal Shalom has been renovated with the help of foreign donors but few Jews live year-round in Rhodes today, so services are not held on a regular basis. Sadly the last train left from Athens to Germany in 1944 had mostly the Rhodian Jewish community in.

The Jewish Museum of Rhodes was established in 1997, in order to preserve the Jewish history and culture of the Jews of Rhodes. It is adjacent to the Kahal Shalom Synagogue.


Rhodes has a Muslim community, consisted of Greek Muslims whose ancestors from Crete and the Dodecanese converted to Islam during the Ottoman period. The number of Muslims in Rhodes could be as many as 4,000.

Kahal Shalom Synagogue

The Kahal Shalom

The Kahal Shalom is the oldest Jewish synagogue in Greece, and the sole remaining synagogue on the Island of Rhodes used for services. There were once six synagogues and prayer halls in the Jewish Quarter (called “La Juderia”). The Kahal Shalom is located on the corner of Dossiadou and Simiou Streets and is believed to have been built in the year 1577. The full name of the building is “Kahal Kadosh Shalom” (Holy Congregation of Peace). It is used for prayer services when visitors or former residents and their families visit the Island for Friday night prayer services, High Holiday services and for special occasions.
The Jewish community of Rhodes has an historical background, dating back to ancient times. During the past five hundred years, the background of the Jewish community was influenced principally by the Jews who fled Spain, at the time of the Spanish Inquisition. Large numbers of Sephardim traveled across the Mediterranean Sea to the Island of Rhodes, as well as other cities such as Salonica, Istanbul and Izmir. The descendants of the Jewish people from Spain, are known as Sephardic Jews, due to the Hebrew word for Spain being Sepharad. Since this large migration, the Jewish community on the Island of Rhodes spoke the Ladino language (also called Judeo-Spanish) which is similar to modern day Spanish. During its height in the 1930s, the Jewish community had a population of approximately 4,000 people.
The interior of the Kahal Shalom synagogue follows the traditional Sephardic style of having the “tevah” (the prayer reading table) in the center of the sanctuary, facing southeast toward Jerusalem. The floor is decorated with graceful black and white mosaic stone patterns, which is a distinctive design motif used throughout the Old City of Rhodes.
During the 1930’s, a balcony was built in the Kahal Shalom sanctuary, for the seating of women. Prior to that time, women sat in rooms, adjoining the south wall of the synagogue. The women’s prayer rooms (known in Ladino as “la azara”) viewed the sanctuary through windowed openings adorned by latticework.
In the courtyard on the east side of the synagogue, there is a plaque above where a water fountain once existed, and it bears an inscription dated the month of Kislev, 5338 (1577). Apparently, this fountain was constructed at the same time as the synagogue. On the west side of the synagogue there was a religious school (yeshiva), however it was destroyed during WWII. An intriguing feature of the Kahal Shalom sanctuary, is the decoration with numerous religious wall paintings.

Jewish Museum of Rhodes

Jewish Museum of Rhodes

The Jewish Museum of Rhodes was established by Aron Hasson in 1997, to preserve the Jewish history and culture of the Rhodian Jewish community. It is adjacent to the Kahal Shalom Synagogue, which is the oldest synagogue in Greece and is situated in six rooms, formerly used as the women’s prayer rooms.
Locals remember with respect…
For 2,300 years, Jews have lived on the island of Rhodes at the southern tip of the Aegean Sea. The community became Sephardic in the sixteenth century, and was among the most renowned Sephardic communities in the world. The synagogue in Rhodes, Kahal Shalom, was built in 1575 and is the oldest functioning synagogue in Greece.
Rhodes was part of Italy during WWII, having been ceded to the Italians after WWI. As with other areas under Italian occupation, the Jews of Rhodes remained relatively safe until the Germans occupied the island in September 1943. In 1944 there were close to 2,000 Jews living on the island, 50 of whom, as Turkish citizens, fell under the protection of the Turkish consulate. The rest were deported on July 20, 1944. The timing of the deportation is especially painful since, less than three months later, the Germans were forced to leave Greece. Deportations from Rhodes were the last conducted by the Germans in Greece.
On July 20, 1944, the Jews of Rhodes were sent by boat to the Greek mainland. Crammed together in the hot summer sun, without food or water, 23 Jews died on the voyage to the mainland. Those who survived were incarcerated in the SS-operated transit camp Haidary and then deported by train to Auschwitz-Birkenau. Only 151 Jews from Rhodes survived the Holocaust.

Saint Francisco of Asizi

The Catholic Church of Saint Francisco of Asizi

The Church of Agios Frangiskos ( Saint Francisco of Assisi ) is the official Latin Church of Rhodes, situated next to the Orthodox church of Saint Athanasios, with its construction beganing in 1936 and completed in 1939. It is dedicated to Agios Frangiskos, a man who fought in many wars and lived a high – spirited life in great poverty. A vision he saw during a serious illness, led him to dedicate his life to charities. He is known as the patron Saint of animals.
The church was designed by the Italian architect Stefano Pellini, has very good acoustics and a unique architecture with white marble, while the walls of the chorus depict the three most significant events from the life of Saint Francisco. A local craftsman created an iron statue of Saint Francisco, at the right side of the church, where it stands till today. The statue is surrounded by blackberry bushes, palm trees, and animals. The church celebrates on October 4th.


The church of Our Lady of Victory

The Church of Our Lady of Victory, known as Santa Maria, is the most famous Catholic Church on the island. Originally the church was destroyed during the Grand Siege in 1522. The church, distinguished for its gothic architecture, was rebuilt in 1742, while it became the official Catholic Church of Rhodes. The building complex includes the Monastery of Franciscans of the Custody of the Holy Land, the pastors of the island and the monastery guesthouse, which has been the scope of historical studies and researches. During the 1960s, the church underwent many renovations and reconstruction works. Today, the church is centrally located in the New Town of Rhodes, near the Casino.

Chapel of Saint Anne

Chapel of Saint Anne

The Chapel of St Anne was a gift to the Catholic Church in the 19th century by Henri Masse, in loving memory of his wife Adelaide. It is a small chapel in the district of Ixia with a convent house and garden attached.

Holy Cross

Chapel of the Holy Cross

The chapel of the Holy Cross is in the Catholic Cemetery of Rhodes and is used mostly for funerals and memorial services. Mass for the repose of the souls of the dead, takes place here, once a month.

Ibrahim Pasha Mosque

Ibrahim Pasha Mosque

Located at Sofokleous square, this mosque continues to function to this day. The inscription featured above the complex’s main entrance bears witness to the date of its construction: 1540, making it one of the earliest Muslim monuments of the Medieval City of Rhodes. This new mosque, was commissioned by Sultan Suleiman, son of Sultan Selim the Victor.
Two porches, succeeded by a 12 square meters hall, constitute the area of worship. The building’s interior, austere and unpretentious in its decoration, contrasts the general trend for flamboyance of Muslim monuments, hence its approximation to the style adopted for Reçep Pasha Mosque (the latter being, nevertheless, off limits to visitors of the Medieval City). The minaret had over the centuries suffered serious decay, until the ‘30s, where restoration works were commissioned under the Italian rule.

Hamza Bey Mosque

Hamza Bey Mosque

This is a typical, cupola-crowned mosque, its originality – at least in regards to other samples of the Muslim architecture having prevailed on the island of Rhodes – consisting that the cupola has been set with byzantine-style red tiles.

Mehmet Agha Mosque

Mehmet Agha Mosque

Located halfway down Socratous street, this is, in more than one aspect, quite an original construction. Built as it is, on top of another building, the Mosque is accessible by an external staircase, leading to an unusual porch.

Reçep Pasha Mosque

Reçep Pasha Mosque

The construction of this mosque, located at Dorieos square, was commissioned by Reçep Pasha in 1588, as the inscription right above its entrance suggests. Another two, minor constructions, were developed next to the mosque.

Church of the Annunciation

Church of the Annunciation

of the Virgin Mary, is situated in the area of Mandraki. It was built in 1925 by the Italians and its architecture brings together Gothic and Romanesque elements. The church’s interior is decorated with Neo – byzantine frescoes painted by renowned hagiographer Fotis Kontoglou.

Cathedral of Holy Virgin Mary

Cathedral of Holy Virgin Mary

“Eisodia” for the locals was built in the year 1750 and the exquisite temple art and pulpit, built in the year 1842.

Agios Fanourios (Saint Fanourios)

Agios Fanourios (Saint Fanourios)

one of the oldest and few byzantine churches in the medieval city, still operating today, is celebrated with great reverence and solemnity. Located at the namesake street in the Medieval Town of Rhodes, the church was built in the 13th century A.D. Its cross shaped and the interior is adorned with wonderful frescos. It officiated as a mesgit (small mosque) during the ottoman occupation. There is no known testimony for its name before the ottoman period. The interior was preserved in the 20’s by the Italian Archaeological Service and after the World War II, it was taken over by the Greeks, at which n 1946, it was inaugurated and dedicated to Agios Fanourios.
The worship of Agios Fanourios seems to have started from Rhodes, expanding next to Crete and then to the rest of the country. Different sources cite that, while workers were digging outside the southern walls to collect building materials, they uncovered the ruins of a church. Among other things, an icon was found depicting Agios Fanourios wearing a military uniform and surrounded by scenes of his martyrdom. Obviously that icon was part of a fresco. Agios Fanourios’ first miracle was the liberation of three Cretan priests from pirates, while transferring a copy of the archetypal icon to Crete.
Christians show their great respect for Agios Fanourios by baking a traditional pie dedicated to him, the “Fanouropita”. The pie is usually round and small in size, made of flour, sugar, cinnamon and oil, sweet red wine and orange juice. All ingredients are mixed together and placed in a round girdle, baked at medium temperature. With the pie, Christians ask Agios Fanourios for his help in recovering a lost object, a lost case, health problems etc.
According to tradition, Agios Fanourios’ mother was a sinner. She was cruel to poor people and that is the reason, according to the myth, she went to hell. Her son tried to save her but she was too evil. Worshipers bake these pies and ask God to forgive her. After the pie is blessed, it is shared around the neighborhood. Agios Fanourios church celebrates on August 27th.

Monastery of the Lady Filerimos

Monastery of the Lady Filerimos is located on a hill above Ialyssos, about 10 km from Rhodes Town, close to the site of Ancient Ialyssos. It was built by the Knights of Saint John in the medieval times and was reconstructed in the early 20th c. The monastery is dedicated to Virgin Mary the Life-Giving Source (Zoodochos Pighi) and its architecture is much different than the usual monasteries in Greece. Its Gothic style stone construction, was built on top of the site of an older Byzantine monastery.

At the citadel of Filerimos, stands the Church of the Lady Filerimos, built by the Knights of the Order of St. John, as well as many religious monuments of ancient, Byzantine and Knights’ period.

Agios Nikolaos in Fountoukli

The monastery of Agios Nikolaos in Fountoukli

located next to one of the cleanest and richest natural water sources of the island named Fountoukli, has maintained tetra conch church with frescoes, from the 15th century. The village Asclepeion hosts the Byzantine church of the Assumption, which has the only murals on the island, known to date, picturing the Revelation of John the Divine.
The church and the religious and folk art museum are worth a visit.


The monastery of Archangel Michael

The monastery of Archangel Michael in Tharri, is located within a very short distance from the village of Laerma. The idyllic, verdant landscape and the awe inspiring church of the Archangel, with its stunning murals, rightly render the monastery as one of the most popular religious tourism destinations in Rhodes.

Virgin Pantanassa

The monasteries of Virgin Pantanassa in Soroni

the Archangel Michael in Tharri, Virgin Ipseni in Lardos, Virgin Paramythia in Afandou, Virgin in Skiadi, Virgin Faneromeni in Ixia, Virgin Mary in Filerimos and Agios Nektarios in Kryoneri, near Archipoli, are peaceful places of prayer.

The Monastery of Panagia Tsambika

The Monastery of Panagia Tsambika

Is one of the most famous on the island, standing on a hill above Tsambika beach, located about 25 km south of Rhodes Town, between Kolymbia and Archangelos. Its icon is considered miracle-working, with hundreds of worshipers flocking to pay their respects and pray for a miracle. The new monastery, which operates today, is found on the road connecting Archangelos to Rhodes Town.

Archangel-Michael in Tharri

The monastery of  Archangel Michael in Tharri

Is located within a very short distance from the village of Laerma. The idyllic, verdant landscape and the awe inspiring church of the Archangel, with its stunning murals, rightly render the monastery as one of the most popular religious tourism destinations in Rhodes.

Church of Agios Panteleimon ( Saint Pantaleon )

Church of Agios Panteleimon (Saint Panteleimon)

The Church of Saint Panteleimon is located on the northeast end of the Medieval Town, near Agia Ekaterini’s Gate. It was built after the first siege from the Ottomans, on July 27th (day of the churches’ celebration) in 1480 A.D. It seems that this church was not turned into a mosque during the ottoman period.
According to Allert Gabriel’s narrations, who visited the island of Rhodes in 1923, the church was being used as a residence by Jewish families. Unknown exactly when, the Italians repaired the building and used it as a customs office. At which later on, the British used it as a police station. Following the World War II it us used as a shelter for refugees.
During one of his visits, the Metropolitan bishop of Rhodes realized that the shelter was actually an old temple. In cooperation with the Archaeological Service, he started the restoration of the church, which was consecrated on April 25th 1948, officiating to this day.

Church of Panagia tou Bourgou – Virgin Mary of Burgo

Church of Panagia tou Bourgou – Virgin Mary of Burgo

is a gothic cathedral of the three – aisled basilica type with two arcades, created by four columns and pointed arches and was constructed in the beginning of the 14th c. Panagia tou Bourgou is also known with the names Virgin Mary of Mercy ( Beata Maria Misericordia Burgi Rodi ) and Virgin Mary of the Metropolis ( Beata Maria of the Metropolis ). Today the area has been partially restored where possible, it is open to the public and sometimes musical events are held in its interior. The restoration of the monument received an honorary distinction from EUROPA NOSTRA in 2006.

Church of Panagia tis Nikis – Virgin Mary of Victory

Church of Panagia tis Nikis – Virgin Mary of Victory

The Church of Our Lady of Victory is known as Santa Maria and it is the most famous Catholic church on the island. Specifically, the church was destroyed during the Great Siege in 1522. The church, distinguished for its Gothic architecture, was rebuilt in 1742, when it became the official Catholic Church of Rhodes. The building complex includes the Monastery of the Franciscans of the Custody of the Holy Land, the pastors of the island and the guest house of the monastery, which has been the subject of historical studies and research. During the 1960s, the church underwent many renovations and reconstructions. Today the church is located in the center of the city of Rhodes, near the casino.

Virgin Mary of the Castle

Virgin Mary of the Castle is located on Museum square, also known as Alexander the Great Square. It was built in the 11th c. and is the oldest and biggest temple that can be found today within the walls of the Medieval Town. In its original form, it belonged to the archaeological type of cruciform registered temple with a dome, which was then modified into a three – aisled basilica with gothic crossed arches in the middle aisle during the knightly period. The temple was used differently, through the passage of time. Originally it was an Orthodox metropolis dedicated to Virgin Mary, then, during the knightly period, was established as a Catholic metropolis, under the name Sancta Maria Castelli Rodi. The ottomans transformed it into a mosque known as Enderum mosque or Kantouri and finally today, it operates as a byzantine museum under the Archaeological Service’s supervision.

Saint John’s of the Knights Catholic church

The ruins of Saint John’s of the Knights Catholic church

are located across from Grand Master’s Palace. On December 27th 1522 A.D., the day the Knights officially handed over the island’s command to the ottomans, sultan Suleiman the Magnificent prayed at this church which later on became the most important Muslim temple, the Great Mosque of Rhodes. The three-aisled gothic basilica with a wooden roof, was destroyed by an explosion, caused by lightening hitting a barrel of gunpowder forgotten in the basement. The Metropolitan church of Virgin Mary’s Annunciation was built based on the patterns of this temple.

Agios Georgios Monastery ( Chourmali mosque )

Agios Georgios Monastery ( Chourmali mosque )

is located on the western section of the Medieval Town on Apolloniou Street. The disposition of three wings of cells, the church on the perimeter and the yard in the middle, is a characteristic of the byzantine monastery architecture. The church has four recesses with a dome ( 14th – 15th c. ), built on top of an older post – byzantine church.
At the eastern part of the yard there’s an atrium dated from the 5th or 6th c.. This rare, in the Hellenic region, type, the construction’s high quality and the morphological elements of the local technique, are the characteristics that give great value to the monument, which is a sample of the Rhodian Knightly architecture. During restoration work, it was revealed that the entrance’s doorstep was an architectural part, showing Virgin Mary praying between two angels. Today the finding is exposed inside the church.
During the ottoman occupation the monastery was turned into a seminary ( Medrese ), given the name “Chourmali”, and the temple to a mosque. Later, it was operated as a girl’s school by the Ottomans and on the 20th c., it was transformed into houses for poor families.
The monastery was restored by the Italian Archaeological Service during the Italian occupation. The monastery received an honorary distinction from Europa Nostra in 2006.

Agios Nikolaos or Saint Augustine’s Monastery

Agios Nikolaos or Saint Augustine’s Monastery

was discovered recently and is located southwest of Omiros Street and can also be reached by Andronikos Street. It consists of the church and a yard on the north side, the main area of the temple on the northeast side and the cells on the east side. It is obvious that the monastery’s yard is located where the “Medieval Town Theater” is found. This monastery, from the order of Augustines, was one of the most important Catholic churches on Rhodes. Recent excavations brought to light an older, one-room church of the 14th c., which was probably the reason why Dragonino Clavelli added a chapel at the north side, in the 15th c., dedicated to Agios Nikolaos, which was used as a burial area for his family.
During World War II, a bomb destroyed half of the church and its surrounding area. Following its restoration, the church was used as a private home up until recently when the Archaeological Service of Rhodes took exclusive ownership of the building.

Agia Triada – Holy Trinity /Dolapli Mosque

Agia Triada – Holy Trinity in the Jewish district can be found in Leontos Rodiou Square.

It is a crucifix byzantine formed temple with a dome and frescoes, dated from the 15th – 16th c., on the west side.

It was given the name Dolapli after its conversion to a mosque.

Sindrivan Mosque

Sindrivan Mosque

This Mosque is situated on the byway of Socratous street, leading all the way to the Marine Gate. Dated in 1888, the Mosque is said to have been built on the site of an earlier Muslim shrine, destroyed by fire.

Orthodox Monasteries

Orthodox Monasteries on the nature of the island of Rhodes.

Saint Marcus Monastery

Holy Temple of Saint Mark. On the main road to Kattavia village ( 84km ) on the south of the island of Rhodes, there is the monastic complex of the Catholic Church of Agios Markos. The building has been recently renovated and has a café area. Celebrates April 25

Agios Nektarios, Krioneri ( Archipolis )

The Monastery of Saint Nektarios of Kryoneri

is located on your way to Archipolis village, as you drive inland from Kolymbia.

In the place where the monastery stands today, a small chapel of gratitude to Saint Nektarios in 1966, was built by Kyriakos Kostomiris and his wife Despina, who believed that he miraculously treated their son, Tsampikos, suffering from poliomyelitis.

Saint Filimon ( Arnintha )

Saint Filimon ( Arnintha )

The Monastery of Agios Philemon is located in the southwest of the island, a few meters near the village of Arnitha.

moni Artamiti ( Saint Isidoros )

Saint John theologian of Artamitis is the name of the old monastery of Angel Michael of Artamitis ( 9 – 10th c. ) on the east side of the mountain of Rhodes called Attaviros. On the medieval era and on Byzantine empire it was a great and rich library and a copy center from the monks who lived there. A lot of script codes from the monastery today are on the island of Patmos. The Traveller Buondelmonti wrote for the monastery when he was on Rhodes ( 1412 – 1420 ). The monastery is on a style from the european architecture. Today you can find a priest who lived there.

Holy church of cross ( Apollona )

The holy church of Cross

The church of Holy Cross it is on the village of Apollona, in the center of the island of Rhodes. The Church of the Holy Cross is located in the center of the village at 334 meters and it is written that it was rebuilt in 1858 as mentioned in an inscription that survives with the name of the owner. The temple of the Holy Cross must have been built in the period of chivalry as travelers mention in their books. In the church there is an icon of the Virgin Mary with the coat of arms of Pierre d’Aubusson Grand Master of Rhodes 1423 – 3 July 1503. Architecturally, the church is one-room with five cruciform vaults and Chivalry elements. The wood-carved iconostasis retains its natural color and was built in the period 1858 – 1863. The pebbles for the mosaic in the courtyard are from the Haraki area. The bell tower was completed in 1892. Celebration Day: Septeber 14

Holy Church of the Assumption of the Virgin ( Ialyssos )

The Holy Church of the Assumption of the Virgin ( Ialyssos )

was built in 1756, according to the date of the inscription next to the northern entrance.

Kalopetra Monastery

The Church of Virgin “Kalopetra” was build at the year of 1489. It is in the area of the valley of the butterflies between the villages of Psinthos and Tholos.

The church was rebuild from Dimitrios Ypsilantis at 1782 – 1784. In a marble you can read: 1784 ΑΛ: ΞΔ: ΥΨ: B.B.M: ΔΒ Ήτοι Αλλέξανδρος Υψηλάντης Βοϊβόδας Μολδαβίας.

Paramythia Monastery ( Afantou )

Paramythia Monastery, near Afantou Village

Located on a hill top near Afantou on the main Rhodes–Lindos national road.

Monastery in Skiadi

By two roads you can visit the monastery of Virgin of Skiadi, from west of the village Apollakia and from the east from the village of Mesanagros after Lahania village. On a good windy day you can see far away until Karpathos island. In the monastery you can see six cells, a kitchen and a small shop for souvenirs. Before the monastery at the same place it was an ancient greek temple of Artemis and you can see some ruins. a Kilometre away is the Askitario a place to stay the monks for praying. The icon of virgin Maria of Skiadi the legend says painted by Apostole Loukas. The first building for the church made at 1.200 AD. The church of today builded at the year of 1861 from prior Ignatios Zannetidis.

Holy Monastery of Panagia Ipseni

The PanagiaHoly Virgin ) Ipseni ( Gypseni = gypsum )  

monastery is situated in a forested area about 50 kilometers south of Rhodes Town.

Virgin Faneromeni

Virgin Faneromeni, Ixia

is located in Ixia, 4.5 km away from the City of Rhodes.

Church of Saint Pantaleon

The Church of St. Pantaleon

is an Orthodox church built in honour of the Saint in the village of Siana near Rhodes.

Holy Church of Panagia Katholiki

Holy Church of Panagia Katholiki

This small stone church was originally built sometime in the 5th century AD, on the foundations of an early Christian Basilica. Parts of the foundations are still visible today.

Dormition of Theotokos church ( Asklipio )

The church of the Dormition of the Virgin ( Asklipio )

at the village of Asklipio in Rhodes was built on a free–cross plan in the 15th–16th centuries

Suleymaniye Mosque

Suleymaniye Mosque

The Suleymaniye Mosque or the Mosque of Suleiman (Turkish: Süleymaniye Camii) was a mosque originally built after the Ottoman conquest of Rhodes in 1522 and reconstructed in 1808. It was named by the Sultan Suleiman to commemorate his conquest of Rhodes. This was the first mosque in the town of Rhodes, and the reconstruction was concluded using materials of the buildings which existed at the same place in an earlier period. The pillars of the outer arcade belonged to the Christian church, while its rose – pink plaster gave the mosque an honorary distinction in 2006. It currently serves as a museum.

Sultan Mustafa Mosque

Sultan Mustafa Mosque

This Mosque is situated on Arionos square, within steps from the public baths (Yeni Hamam). The Mosque continuous to function, to this day, being actually the site for wedding celebrations amongst members of the island’s Muslim community.

Kal de el Ermano Shemuel Hanan

The Kal de el Ermano Shemuel Hanan

The Kal de el Ermano Shemuel Hanan (located on Kay Ancha) Joseph Hanan owned a store in the Jewish Quarter inside the walls of Rhodes, on what was known as the “Piazza Bruciata” (“the burnt plaza”). There had been a major fire in that plaza, most likely the Great Fire in 1864, and the name stuck among the Jews of the quarter thereafter (it is today known as Hippocrates Square). At the store, Joseph sold household items such as carpets and antiques. He made a very good living and was able to purchase a block of homes in the Jewish Quarter, consisting of two or three adjacent two-story houses on a street known to Gella as Via Principe Umberto, also known in the Jewish community as the “Kaye Ancha” (meaning the wide street in Ladino – today’s Hebrew Martyrs Street). Joseph owned a horse and a carriage which he would use to travel around town. Some of his father’s piousness did get passed down, next to the home where he lived. The Synagogue Hanan, it was a small family synagogue where he would fill the role of the Hazzan, or cantor. All the synagogues had balconies with decorative wooden screens, serving as the women’s section. The women seated in the balcony, could see and hear the services below, while the men could only see the screens. The men’s area was known as La Kehilah and the women’s section as La Azara. None of the Synagogues had social halls. Celebrations were held in the large court-yards of the Synagogues.

Scroll to Top