Local products and local cuisine give a place its identity. The culinary tourism can bring economic benefits and affect the local economy in many ways.
The promotion of local products through the local cuisine will effect positively the tourism destination of “Rhodes – Aegean”.
The products of the island are unique and have special characteristics. Such products are:
- Crop Production Products
- Olive oil ( Geographical Indications- PGI )
- Edible Olives ( Green crushed Rhodian olives, Zupa Olives )
- Vegetables ( Watermelon of Rhodes, Melon of Rhodes, Tomato of Rhodes )
- Citrus ( Orange of Rhodes, Tangerine of Rhodes, Lemon of Rhodes )
- Aromatic and Medical Plants
- Products of Animal Production
- Honey ( Thyme Honey, Pine Tree Honey, Flower Honey, Eryka Honey )
The olive oil of Rhodes is featured as a product of geographical indication.
Honey of Rhodes and honey of South Aegean are awarded annually as one of the best in the world and it is of quite a significance for the Rhodians.
A special honey based dessert, is the melekouni ( traditional sweet ). The melekouni is healthy and stands out for its great taste and high nutritional value. Its ingredients are honey, natural sesame seeds, almonds, grated orange-bergamot and spices. It’s a traditional treat at the weddings and other social events.
There are also the local sweets ( almond of Rhodes, xerotigana, diples ) and the traditional jam ( Orange, Tangerine ).
The Rhodian wines and the local varieties of vine are labelled as POP and PGI (products and Geographical Indication of Origin of Superior Quality wines), with the sparkling Rhodian wine, holding a very special place on the local product list.
Except from the two large, wine producing companies (Cair & Emery), there are also smaller wineries, located in Attaviros and Prophet Ilias areas, which produce local wine.
While in Rhodes, visitors can taste a plethora of products, of unique flavors, such as:
1. Rusk’s, Olive Bread, Bread with Anise, Tiganopsomo, Bread with onion, Eptazimo, barley pretzels
2. Cream Cheese, Gruyere of Rhodes, Goat Cheese, Rice Pudding
3. Salted fish
4. Honey, Melekouni, Halva with semolina
5. Pies with greens, fried pies, Tachinopites- Pies with crushed sesame seeds
6. Loukoumi, Almond sweets, Jams, Grape Pudding, Fanouropita ( St Fanourios Pie ), Vanilla, Mouchalepi, Xerotigana, Takakia, Local Pancakes
7. Local Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
8. Cereals ( Pretzels, Tachinosoupa, Trahanas, Tsouvras )
9. Local Herbs ( Alisfakia, Glyfoni, Sapsycho, sage, Camomile of Rhodes, Mint )
10. Greek Coffee
The products of Rhodes may be obtained by our guests both in the town shops, as well as in the smaller villages like Archangelos, Embonas, Apollona, Sianna, etc.
A unique experience for tourists is a visit to a traditional bakery or a women’s cooperative, to see first-hand how the products are produced, or a spirit tasting tour in the wineries and distilleries, mainly located in the mountainous areas of Rhodes.
It’s worthwhile to visit the Οpen Αir Μarkets in the city of Rhodes which are operating four times a week: Every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday at St Dimitrios ( Cemetery Area ).